Saturday, November 7, 2015

Week 8: Weaving, Pattern Trucks, and Ink


Week 8…holy what?! Week 8! Uhhh that’s halfway through my student teaching placement… a moment of silence for weeks gone by that have absolutely flown. I’m not gonna lie – I’m writing this post nearly three weeks AFTER week 8 and I am in shock that I only have a month left. It’s a sad and exhilarating feeling.. hard to pin down.

Monday: started off great! I was able to get my hands on a Macbook for one of my advanced drawing students. My goal for him is to teach him the basics of Photoshop so he can expand his skills into digital illustration. He’s huge into Anime and Manga and that’s really… all he is willing to produce art-wise. I figure I should bring him into the 21st century with his abilities and give him the tools of the trade if he really wants to be an illustrator. 
I am putting out my feelers for all the tutorials I can find and any tips or tricks to help him along. We will be scanning his drawings into digital files and then, ideally, taking them in to Photoshop for further finishing and editing. This student’s challenge is his priorities – he would rather buy a custom video game controller than shell out cash for a drawing tablet… my life as a high school teacher vs. the almighty console.

In Drawing we were learning allll about printmaking. How to, how to set up, how to CLEAN up.. these kids are great. They created some really nice prints and learned quickly the process overall! I think it is important for them to learn a process like printmaking… teaches them delayed gratification. Something a lot of kids do NOT understand nowadays. You have to work for the end results and work hard to produce good results – such a foreign concept to students who are all “Well, I will draw this thing and then this thing will be done and I will get a grade and I will move on!” Not so with printmaking. I received a, probably, sick amount of joy watching them toil over their prints and try to make them look good every time…I’m evil like that. How dare I have them create something that takes more than three steps?!





Today also marked the time when my 7th graders were ‘given back’ to Mr. Keller. I was a little sad… but they weren’t physically GOING anywhere. They were just learning a ceramics lesson he wanted to share with them. I never thought I would be so attached to a group of sassy middle schoolers. But there it is.
Students were being given their next project, character pumpkins. I thought it was a good way to teach them about clay, pinch pot construction, and scoring and slipping! The kids were excited about it and I was kind of left in the dust to be like… heeey..a couple of you still need to do your priiints. So it goes..

Excellent.
At the elementary school it was a liiiiitttle nuts. A little. Not too nuts but a little nuts.
I was working with 1st grade to draw animals with textures and patterns. As per usual, the first run of the lesson was not perfect in any way shape or form. I’ll just leave you with the image of my co teacher’s notes to guide your reasoning… some reflections on the lesson overall: I talk too much. STILL. I have the tendency to over explain concepts to students because I see them as little tinies and that means they need lots of information to make things connect in their brains. Wrong. So wrong. They want to be WORKING sooner than later so the quicker I can show them what the expectations and goals are, they quicker they are being good little littles.

Tuesday was super productive. Advanced students were cranking out their handbuilding pieces and getting them ready for firing.



The drawing students learned today just how nitpicky the printmaking world really is when we discussed.. creating a clean edition. I think at this point they all wanted to smush my face into the inked plates but they persevered and created some really high quality prints! I was running out of space for them so they found a temporary home in the hallway while they set and dried. I was really proud of the kids for taking their time and making the most of the process – even when it probably wasn’t their most favorite thing to do and RE-Do ever...





Back in Art Survey I had some of my students finishing up their prints. The sassy pictures show little resemblance to the fun they were having in the classroom! And I think they were happy with the results.



At the elementary school I had nearly a full day of teaching! I was working with 4th grade on Art History at the Zoo (which I believed I posted the lesson for some time ago… anyway! The kids were loving it and having a lot of fun making creative parodies of the great masterpieces. I tried to give limited examples so they wouldn’t just copy something another artist did. I was NOT disappointed. I only had a few behavior issues with these guys – I think I may have accidentally on purpose mentioned that they are the most difficult grade level in the elementary school right now. I love working with them. I think they’re fearless and hilarious and creative. I value that in people and in students – I make sure to remind them of my behavioral expectations but they generally just get right to work and do great things. My co teacher and I were talking and he thinks it would be a good idea to adapt this lesson for 5th grade – which was my original plan but I didn’t have them to teach so I improvised! We were discussing using tracing paper and crayon instead of oil pastels. I remember doing the project with tracing paper and colored pencil but we don’t have those so you make do with what is there and hopefully the results are wonderful! Right? Yes.
The last class of my day was 6th grade. This class had their meeting cancelled the week before for a field trip so my goal was to catch them up with the other half on their weaving. This class got it RIGHT AWAY. Mercifully, all of their looms were warped and ready to go for the next step. They were ready to add weft during our next class time, which would be later in the week! Madness, I tell you. They’re a fun group of kids.



teacher's sample - Napoleon riding a T-rex. Because duh.
Wednesday started with a double-long period of ceramics and time for me to work with my advanced students. I will never forget how important it is to have one-on-one time with studio artists after this placement. Some students need all the motivation in the WORLD, and others just want you to back off and let them create their art. The main takeaway is they want you to care about what they’re doing and take the time – even if they act like you’re a nuisance – it’s a big part of their development of style and working habits. I try to meet with each of them even if just as a walkabout informal critique so they know I am interested in what they’re doing. Rarely do I have to tell them to focus on their art anymore – some are still distracted by other people but generally it’s a quick reminder and they’re back to work.

Wednesday also means Art Survey block day! So I was back on the kids about finishing their prints.. because that was my job this week. My co teacher was having all the fun teaching them clay techniques and textures and I was over on the other side of the room cracking the whip. Typical. But again! The results were really good and the kids were surprised at how much detail they were able to accomplish.



some framed prints by the 7th graders :)

At the elementary school I had another chance to tangle with the first graders. We were going to draw some animals with texture and pattern if I died trying! This class went much smoother than the first, as per the routine. I know I have probably said it 50 times by now but I am SO GLAD I have the chance to work with one half of a grade level at a time. I don’t know if that will be the case where I end up working but I will do my darndest to reflect thoroughly on my teaching as much as possible – especially if I have to do it all in one shot. Phew. I gave students the chance to draw patterns with me on the board and we learned the phrase ‘over and over again’ to describe how patterns work. I have to thank my co-teacher for that one – it’s so obvious to those of us who are not 7, but it was so useful to have them speak along while they drew. I also created a better example this time around – I didn’t predict this would happen but sometimes.. I get demo fright. Seriously. Even with 1st graders. The thoughts will fly out of my head and I will be sitting there in front of the paper with a bunch of tinies all around me and I’ll be like… now what the hell was I going to draw for an example!? I recovered quickly this time and had a solid sample to share with students. After that it was go-time!

my personal favorite - the eyes... THE EYES



This group of littles has a particularly challenging student behavior-wise. Luckily I was otherwise blessed with diligent littles everywhere else in the classroom so this student and I could work together on the project. He really wanted to scribble. All. Over. Everything. I walked over to him, “P—what are you doing?”
“I want to draw a truck!”
“We are working on textures and patterns today, remember? You did a really good job following along earlier.. how could we add texture or pattern to your drawing?”
The student thought for a minute and his eyes lit up. “I’ll draw a truck!”
Now…. If you ever worked with this student you would know how much of a challenge it is to get him to do ANYTHING. I was happy to see him working and not impaling the marker box with a pencil, so I played along.
“P, I will make a deal with you. You can draw a truck IF you add textures and patterns.”

And just like that, he drew a beautifully detailed 6-year-old version of a truck. No disciplinary issues, no yelling, no temper tantrums. Just a colorful and patterned truck. I congratulated him on a great day in art and was even able to give him a ‘roller rock’ behavioral incentive. That was the best part of my day this week – getting him to draw and sit in art the whole time… more on that later.


After 1st grade we went up a few years to 3rd and I was working on the sea animal collage. This group of 3rd graders is stellar. Like.. they work super hard and do really awesome art and are fairly well behaved and challenge me to challenge them. Can you tell I enjoy teaching this group?! The kids got right to work on adding details to their animals and creatures. And then… there was an issue. One student was working happily away on his project and then something snapped. In my short amount of time teaching littles I have realized some important things... one is you will have students who want you nowhere near them while they work because it freaks them out. Another is you will have students who require your every minute of attention and time and will not rest until they have dominated your life. These are not the two golden rules because there is definitely middle ground but… what happened with this student was an example of the latter lesson. 



He was working on his project but reluctantly, whining every few minutes about how it was too hard or he couldn’t cut this or couldn’t glue that.. a very textbook case of defiance. I helped him plan out his project and gave him the steps to making his giant paper whale a reality. But that was not enough.. he needed more attention. My co teacher was working with him to keep him on task but that wasn’t enough either. So he started to wander.. and bang his hands on tables.. and whine.. and bother other students. His project was finished but he was not. At clean up time he seemed to be doing okay and set his project on the back table with the others.. but then he started hitting the tables again, this time with projects on it. My co teacher thought it would be a good idea to remove him from the classroom while I worked with the other students – something I would have to learn to wrangle in my own classroom by myself, obviously. But for that day I was grateful he was there to tackle the issue. 



The kids had cleaned up early so I put on a clip from Finding Nemo and we talked about the food chain in the ocean. The kids really liked that! The exception was the student in the hallway… he was not having a good time at all. From what I could hear, over his yelling and tantrum, was that the student threw his scissors at the ground and then walked away. The office was called and took care of it but my other 3rd graders were blissfully unaware of the chaos outside and were enjoying Marlin and Dory’s adventures. Talk about classroom management… I felt bad for the student but he was out of control. The rest of the day was peppered with visits from the special education teachers, classroom teacher, and then on top of that we wrote behavioral tracking forms… tis the life of an elementary school teacher.



The best part of the day, on top of all the craziness and behaviors and messes to clean up was sharing with the elementary staff that that 1st grade student was an awesome artist. The secretary seemed surprised and said, “Well good for you! He spent the rest of the day in the office with me!” It’s always little victories that seize the day when it comes to kids like that.



some advanced handbuilding work - super nice!

my resident anime artist..
Thursday was the double block for Drawing..What they didn’t expect was my sneaky plan for a critique. I scattered their finished prints all around the room at different seats and set a sticky note under each print. The directions were: Write one thing that you like about the print, Write one thing that you recognize, If you also used that symbol, write your initials on the note. I wanted to keep things as loose as possible but still make them think about the aspects of their designs they had in common. I think I said before this group is kind of cliquey so it is important to me to start chipping away at those walls and show them common ground. Art is a super good way to do that with kids – that’s why I love it so much.





After the stickies were filled up I had the students read the comments wherever they were. The idea being not to read their own comments. There were some laughs and nods of agreement, some jokes and some genuine questions. I was pleased with their interactions with each other’s work and in general! After that the kids were ready to get started with their printmaking – ready to be done, I think.. They set everything up, cleaned up after their projects were done, and helped each other out to create clean pulls and clean surfaces. There are some really tricky cases in this class but the fun thing is seeing them open up through their art processes. They act like they don’t want to be there but the reality is they are able to make work about what they care about. I want them to enjoy what they make and so I push that pretty hard. It’s amazing what students can show you with just a pencil and some time to think… rant over :)


At the elementary school I was back with the 6th graders working on weaving. The challenge here being… yarn. Distributing yarn is a lot easier in a craft cabin where kids can just wander to wherever the big box of yarn is and do what they need to. In a classroom, it comes down to science. I came up with a method for measuring their yarn pieces, which was entertaining as well. I had them pulling yarn from a box, putting the end of the yarn on their nose and then dragging it down to their toes to cut it. Nose to toes, kids. It’s a living! That worked fairly well and then I had to teach them how to actually WEAVE. The cool thing was they knew exactly what to do because they had done the people weaving! I only had to remind them of the patterning after they reached the end of the loom.. I quickly saw that a lot of them were pulling really tightly on the yarn so I had to correct that, but really this group was doing pretty well with the process. One thing I learned, though? KIDS CANNOT TIE KNOTS. Like. AT ALL. I had to teach how to tie a double (square) knot. Really. REALLY. The age of Velcro has ruined our youth. So sad.




The other half of third grade was working on their sea animal collages and was ready to be DONE. Now.. student teaching is full of lessons. This lesson was choose your battles.This class is a little.. tiny tad bit disorganized. But they liked the project! Mostly! Today my goal was to finish up their animals and get the mobile put together. And so we did! I explained to them how to ‘feed’ their animals by gluing some fish into a stomach shape. After that I walked around with string and cut lengths for the students to sandwich between the animal and the stomach. The next step was to tie them on to the mobile and listen to the oohs and aahs – they were pretty proud of their handiwork. I gave them time for free drawing when they were done and by then it was the end of the day!



Friday we were back to normal schedule and I was able to wander around and admire the work the advanced kids were doing. I never tire of watching their work progress and change and grow (sometimes literally) in the classroom. So many of these kids are pushing their already strong skills into overdrive and the results are so So GOOD.








In drawing class we were finishing like.. maybeeee two prints and then I was able to hand out rubrics for self evaluations. I don’t think these students had tried to reflect on their work in this format before because they all seemed surprised I wanted to hear what they thought about the project. Of COURSE I want that! If it sucked, I want to modify it or remove it from my plans. If it was awesome I want to hear why. Duh. I was happy to see some of the kids reflecting on what was IN their project as well. Some of them talked about how they liked the process because they were able to draw things they liked or cared about. Some of them were very honest with themselves about their effort and abilities.. they all scored very highly in my book! After finishing their rubrics I introduced them to the new lesson, Linoleum Carving Prints (lesson coming soon!). They had the rest of the hour to research images of their animals, resources, and reference images. I find it is better to give students a more open-ended assignment after you have just finished one that is more personal. They seemed interested in trying out a new printing process and being able to work from different resources.


The LAST Art Survey Dia de los Muertos print. Phew.
Today was a big day for me because ON TOP OF ALL THE OTHER THINGS… I was also being observed at the elementary school. Because why not!? In any case I treated it like a normal day and set to work teaching weaving. Again, we took the nose to toes method to heart and students were getting their yarn in an organized fashion in no time! My observing professor was walking around the room, looking at the work students were doing and asking them questions. I do not know if he ever introduced himself to him so I got a lot of “Ms. Kanak.. who is that guy!?” in hushed tones. I could hear them talking to him about how fun my lessons are and that they really liked weaving a lot (Score!). Thanks kids, that helps immensely! 

And I was even able to access some of my observation feedback.. like this!:
Breanne is confident and has her own style of conducting the class. She is making it both fun and productive to be in the class. Several students volunteered to me extremely positive feedback on her as a teacher. Her ways of redirecting off task behavior were very gentle and effective in keeping students attentive to her while still building positive relations. She treats the class like fellow artists, showing her authority as a resource of artistic knowledge that deserves the respect she gracefully elicits through confident, natural, and respectful guidance.


Her instructions were very clear and well stated, she is relaxed, confident, and thorough. I especially enjoyed the sense of pacing; she breaks instructions into small chunks so that students can get to the hands-on learning without long periods of instruction, then short breaks to introduce the next phase. Very effective methodology.



ALL good things :) It was a very productive and learning-filled week over all. I could not even express how happy I was to read such positive and encouraging comments. Sometimes school is really hard to come back to – but knowing my students WANT to be there and learn with me – and they tell other people that! – makes it a really fun way to make a career.


Ms. Kanak now has to go to wait all the tables.
Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment